Canon for Parish Life
Located in the heart of downtown Jackson, MS, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral is here to empower people to serve Christ in the world, to find beauty in worship and music, and to transform hearts for God. Being in the city means we strive to welcome all our neighbors including those from the surrounding businesses, political offices, and those living on the streets. Our parishioners occupy a variety of zip codes but all have a heart for the city and our Cathedral community.
Our ministry team values creativity and self-initiative. We have a collaborative work style. The past year has afforded us many opportunities to test these values and put them into practice. We have tried many new things, failed at some and incorporated others. We are now at the point of blending the familiar traditions of our past with the new skills we have acquired during previous three years. Flexibility is key.
The Canon for Parish Life position is one of three priests on staff and one vocational deacon. This position has primary responsibility to supervise lay staff for children and youth programing as well as the Lay Parish Life Director. This person will also participate regularly in liturgy planning, preaching, teaching and small group ministry.
Ordination to the priesthood is required.
Please send cover letter and resume to the Very Reverend Anne M. Maxwell - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Objectives: Support and lead the ongoing children and youth ministries at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral by building deep and meaningful relationships, assisting and leading ministry events, aiding in the transformative education of youth in accordance with the teachings and rites of the Episcopal Church, and becoming actively involved in the life of St. Andrew’s.
- A respect and appreciation for the Episcopal Church’s expression of faith
- An enthusiastic desire to engage with and learn from young people and parents alike
- Ability to help parents determine spiritual goals for their students
- Ability to recruit and raise up leaders
- Ability to manage time, complete assignments, and initiate new and creative ideas
- A valid driver’s license
- At least twenty-five (25) years old
1. Children’s Programming at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers to help facilitate all ministry activities with children (Sunday mornings, Sunday afternoons, special events, etc.)
- Coordinate and recruit teams to provide activities during special events in the life of the church as related to children
- Coordinate and recruit a team of volunteers for the yearly Vacation Bible School program.
- Ensure that the nursery is provided with staff and volunteers during Sunday morning, worship, and other church-wide activities or meetings.
- Coordinate and provide formation materials for Sunday morning worship.
2. Episcopal Youth Community (EYC) of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
- Recruit and empower adult volunteers to fully participate in the life of our youth program.
- Lead and nurture 6th – 12th grade youth in faith formation and active participation in parish life
- Help prepare adult leaders for Sunday morning youth Christian Education class
- Plan and implement regularly-scheduled activities for the EYC throughout the fall and spring semesters
- Plan and implement activities during the summer
- Coordinate occasional activities with other groups within St. Andrew’s (Outreach, Pastoral Care, etc.), and other youth groups in the Central Convocation, as required
- Maintain regular communication through social electronic media with EYC members and their parents
- Work with the Diocesan Minister for Children and Youth to encourage participation in all Diocesan events
3. Administrative and Other Duties
- Proactively identify and welcome children and youth (including parents) who are new or repeat visitors at Sunday worship. Follow up with any requests made through the Newcomer’s ministry team.
- Build and maintain connections with children, youth, parents, and volunteers by being present during all church-wide activities.
- Attend the weekly staff meeting or the weekly formation meeting
- Work with the staff to submit an annual budget for children and youth activities
- Ensure that the church complies with its Safe Church policy and procedures by making sure all volunteers are trained; maintaining records; recruiting the necessary volunteers for all activities; be knowledgeable of and comply with all policies regarding contact with children and youth as established by the Diocese of Mississippi and St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
Compensation commensurate with experience. (The compensation package consists of a $40,000 – 45,000 base salary and additional benefits of insurance and pension.)
Note: A full background check and completion of Safeguarding training is required prior to employment.
Slater Fellow for Church Music
St. Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral is seeking the next Slater Fellow in Church Music. The Slater Fellowship, named for the first cathedral organist and choirmaster Frank Slater, is designed to provide hands-on experience to an individual who has an interest in pursuing church music ministry as а vocation and is eager to gain experience in choral conducting, service playing, children's music, or some combination thereof. The ideal candidate is an undergraduate student pursuing а major in music who has completed at least the sophomore year, or а recently graduated music major who is in the first year or two of their career. The specific duties will Ье tailored to the successful candidate's interests and skill, but will include а combination of choral conducting, service playing (organ and/or piano), children's music, liturgical planning, administration, and other duties as assigned. The position will not exceed 10 hours per week.
This position will Ье а one academic year appointment, September 2022 - Мау 2023, and carries а $6000 stipend. The successful candidate must pass а background check and complete Safeguarding God's Children training per the requirements of the Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi.
Please contact Jessica Nelson (email@example.com) for more information.
St. Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral is seeking staff singers for the 2022-2023 academic year. These paid positions require availability оп most Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings September-May. The ideal candidate is а confident singer, capable sight-reader, and has previous choral experience.
Please contact Jessica Nelson via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information